Happy first of July! I can’t believe it is already July! Where is time going!? It feels like it was New Years Eve just yesterday!
I have had a rough couple of weeks with non stop work and stress, and getting really stressed out about my move this weekend to university apartments. I was really anxious to make everything official, but everything is working out and I have transferred all the utilities etc.! Now comes the hard part – packing up a whole apartment’s worth of furniture!
I currently have a living room/dining room set up that I like, but with having a new place, I want to switch it up a bit, and what better way to switch it up than with changing in some cool accent pieces!
Living Room Inspiration – Blue like the Sea by andreah227 featuring a leather loveseat
1. A neutral sofa – I currently have a dark gray microfiber/plush sofa, and it is perfect because it goes well with so many different color schemes! I originally wanted a red couch because I wanted a red/gray/white/black set, but I am glad I didn’t go for the red couch because I would be stuck with it! Some set ups look great but I like to change things up and a neutral sofa/couch/love seat is perfect! I prefer gray or black!
2. Patterned/Colorful Throw pillows – I have a lot of colorful throw pillows on my couch and love seat, they are all red and white colored right now, but I want to switch it up with blue/turquoise and white! A nice way to add an accent color!
3. Unique Side Table – I currently have plain black Ikea side tables that I bought for $10 each, which is a great deal and goes well with anything, but I found these really cute side tables that are unique and add a pop of color! How cute are these! I love the patterns, particularly the twig one! So cute!
4. Coffee table – I currently have a coffee table from Ikea as well, it is plain black and I bought it for $40, which was a great deal! Here are some coffee table inspiration pieces similar to what I have right now, but I particularly like the thick accent table that completely sits on the ground! What a unique great touch!
5. Plants/Succulents/Accent pieces – Plain and simple accent pieces, like small vases, small pots with succulents, or simple flowers – all add the great amount of detail while still being subtle! Succulents are rather cheap to buy at the store/nursery, and the pots they come in are relatively cheap too. You can also buy fresh flowers and place them in a plain round vase for an elegant touch!
6. Unique Lighting – One thing I would spend money on is unique lighting pieces. I love hanging pieces/chandeliers, which I have one from Ikea that I got for $10 that I string to hang over my dining table! Adds a really cool touch. I have a unique floor octopus lamp that I found on amazon, which is a really cool addition to my living room. I also have a plain floor lamp for some extra light. I don’t have side table lamps, but they would add more light to the room!
7. Art – I love colorful art in my apartment – I have found so many nice paintings and pieces to hang in my apartment, but being a poor grad student, I don’t have the money for that! So, what I ended up doing, was buying a 5-pack of canvas on amazon and some acrylic paint, and painted some pieces to hang on my wall! It is rather cool because you can stick to a similar color scheme and you immediately have one of a kind art to hang in your apartment!
A lot of these things you can find similar pieces at Amazon, Ikea, or a thrift shop! Or even Craigslist or yard sales! I know I will be looking for some new pieces in the next few weeks as I settle down in my apartment, and hopefully I can post a photo soon 🙂
What do you think about this summer inspiration for your living room? What do you think about turquoise accents? What is your living room’s color scheme? Do you like a neutral couch as a center piece or do you prefer a colorful couch? Let me know in the comments below!
Shop the pieces on Polyvore:
Arteriors sphere chandelier
Pull chain lamp
Worlds away lighting
Zuo Modern white shades
Warm white light
$24 – therange.co.uk
Purple canvas wall art
$135 – luxdeco.com
Pillow Decor indoor outdoor throw pillow
Cotton throw pillow
$42 – milkandsugar.com.au
Turquoise home decor
Photo wall art
Plush throw pillow
$21 – target.com.au
Pomax flower stem
Vintage wall art
Canvas wall art
Matthew Hilton leather loveseat
Global Views gold accent table
Modern contemporary furniture
Blue end table
$73 – zanui.com.au
Black accent table
$23 – fantasticfurniture.com.au