Happy first of July! I can’t believe it is already July! Where is time going!? It feels like it was New Years Eve just yesterday!
I have had a rough couple of weeks with non stop work and stress, and getting really stressed out about my move this weekend to university apartments. I was really anxious to make everything official, but everything is working out and I have transferred all the utilities etc.! Now comes the hard part – packing up a whole apartment’s worth of furniture!
I currently have a living room/dining room set up that I like, but with having a new place, I want to switch it up a bit, and what better way to switch it up than with changing in some cool accent pieces!
Living Room Inspiration – Blue like the Sea by andreah227 featuring a leather loveseat
1. A neutral sofa – I currently have a dark gray microfiber/plush sofa, and it is perfect because it goes well with so many different color schemes! I originally wanted a red couch because I wanted a red/gray/white/black set, but I am glad I didn’t go for the red couch because I would be stuck with it! Some set ups look great but I like to change things up and a neutral sofa/couch/love seat is perfect! I prefer gray or black!
2. Patterned/Colorful Throw pillows – I have a lot of colorful throw pillows on my couch and love seat, they are all red and white colored right now, but I want to switch it up with blue/turquoise and white! A nice way to add an accent color!
3. Unique Side Table – I currently have plain black Ikea side tables that I bought for $10 each, which is a great deal and goes well with anything, but I found these really cute side tables that are unique and add a pop of color! How cute are these! I love the patterns, particularly the twig one! So cute!
4. Coffee table – I currently have a coffee table from Ikea as well, it is plain black and I bought it for $40, which was a great deal! Here are some coffee table inspiration pieces similar to what I have right now, but I particularly like the thick accent table that completely sits on the ground! What a unique great touch!
5. Plants/Succulents/Accent pieces – Plain and simple accent pieces, like small vases, small pots with succulents, or simple flowers – all add the great amount of detail while still being subtle! Succulents are rather cheap to buy at the store/nursery, and the pots they come in are relatively cheap too. You can also buy fresh flowers and place them in a plain round vase for an elegant touch!
6. Unique Lighting – One thing I would spend money on is unique lighting pieces. I love hanging pieces/chandeliers, which I have one from Ikea that I got for $10 that I string to hang over my dining table! Adds a really cool touch. I have a unique floor octopus lamp that I found on amazon, which is a really cool addition to my living room. I also have a plain floor lamp for some extra light. I don’t have side table lamps, but they would add more light to the room!
7. Art – I love colorful art in my apartment – I have found so many nice paintings and pieces to hang in my apartment, but being a poor grad student, I don’t have the money for that! So, what I ended up doing, was buying a 5-pack of canvas on amazon and some acrylic paint, and painted some pieces to hang on my wall! It is rather cool because you can stick to a similar color scheme and you immediately have one of a kind art to hang in your apartment!
A lot of these things you can find similar pieces at Amazon, Ikea, or a thrift shop! Or even Craigslist or yard sales! I know I will be looking for some new pieces in the next few weeks as I settle down in my apartment, and hopefully I can post a photo soon 🙂
What do you think about this summer inspiration for your living room? What do you think about turquoise accents? What is your living room’s color scheme? Do you like a neutral couch as a center piece or do you prefer a colorful couch? Let me know in the comments below!
Shop the pieces on Polyvore:
Arteriors sphere chandelier
Pull chain lamp
Worlds away lighting
Zuo Modern white shades
Warm white light
$24 – therange.co.uk
Purple canvas wall art
$135 – luxdeco.com
Pillow Decor indoor outdoor throw pillow
Cotton throw pillow
$42 – milkandsugar.com.au
Turquoise home decor
Photo wall art
Plush throw pillow
$21 – target.com.au
Pomax flower stem
Vintage wall art
Canvas wall art
Matthew Hilton leather loveseat
Global Views gold accent table
Modern contemporary furniture
Blue end table
$73 – zanui.com.au
Black accent table
$23 – fantasticfurniture.com.au
Oh wow, you moved! Moving is not easy and people say it happens that we always lose one or 2 small things when we move – I can say it did happen to me, once! I really liked the pieces you selected here and also, the descriptions of what works, and more than that – colorful art! And the way you solved it, by painting yourself some canvases! Well done! I would love to see the result, really!
So sorry to hear about the stress, Andrea. I had a stressful winter/spring due to some major deadlines and staff shortages. Thankfully, all turned out well in the end–no doubt yours will to! I adore the lovely inspirations you've featured. Having just redecorated my family room—truly, there's no better way to enliven the spirit than to get those creative decorating projects underway. Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com
I love these ideas! I'm going to be moving soon as well, so I'm on the hunt for home design inspiration 🙂